Tom Lynagh re-commits to Australian Rugby

Wed, May 20, 2026, 10:09 PM
Rugby Australia
by Rugby Australia

Rugby Australia and Queensland Rugby Union are pleased to confirm Tom Lynagh has signed a contract extension to remain in Australian Rugby until at least the end of 2027.

Born in Italy and raised in the UK, Lynagh moved to Queensland as an 18-year-old to develop his game at the Reds and University of Queensland.

He made his Super Rugby Pacific debut for Queensland in 2023 against the Hurricanes in Townsville and has since gone on to play 37 SRP games for the Reds.

A year later, Lynagh was selected in the 2024 Wallabies squad and made his Test debut against Wales in Sydney in July – following in the footsteps of his Rugby World Cup-winning father, Michael, in pulling on the famous gold jersey.

He featured in three Tests in his first international season, with strong form in 2025 earning him selection in the British & Irish Lions series, during which he started all three games at flyhalf. Still just 23, Lynagh has been capped seven times for the Wallabies.

A run of injuries has interrupted his game time in recent months but, with a bright future ahead of him, Lynagh is committed to returning to the field and pushing his claim for a place at next year’s Rugby World Cup in Australia.

Wallaby No. 977 Lynagh said:

"It's great to secure my future for another year. It means I can concentrate on getting back on the field, playing some good rugby and putting my best foot forward for what is to come.

“It was a great honour to play for the Wallabies against the British and Irish Lions last year. At times, I still pinch myself that it happened. Playing for the Wallabies was a great goal of mine. I was a kid in London watching the Wallabies at the 2015 World Cup and that inspired me to become a rugby player.

"To wear the gold jersey is something very special. The goal now is to get fit and healthy and get some good footy under my belt so I can contend again this year and in what will be a massive year in 2027. Nothing is given so I know I've got hard work ahead."

Rugby Australia’s Director of High Performance Peter Horne said:

"Tom’s strong form for Queensland was rewarded with Wallabies selection last year and those experiences, especially in the high-pressure environment of a Lions series, will serve him well as we build towards a home Rugby World Cup in 2027.

“We’re pleased Tom has re-signed for a further year, adding depth and optionality to the national squad, and we look forward to him returning to the field after an unfortunate run of injuries. He has made a promising start to his international career and we believe he has continued improvement ahead of him.”

Queensland Reds Head Coach Les Kiss said:

"Tom is a prodigious talent albeit this has been a difficult season for him so far.

"His growth has been fantastic since the start of 2024. Playing against the Lions last year was just a glimpse of what is possible in his future."

Share