Moore Park, Sydney NSW
Rugby Australia (Rugby AU), the governing body of Rugby Union in Australia, is looking for a junior Communications Coordinator to be primarily responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Communications department.
It is an exciting time for Rugby in Australia – with Rugby World Cups this year for Sevens and Women’s XVs, a Rugby World Cup for the Wallabies in 2023, the Paris Olympic Games in 2025, a British & Irish Lions Tour in 2025 and home Rugby World Cups in 2027 and 2029.
This position will play a critical role in the running of Rugby Australia’s communications function – responsible for match day media operations, accreditation, internal communications, media monitoring, content and social media management, publishing, and distribution.
In addition to these areas, this role will also be required to contribute to the communications function across all areas of the Rugby Australia business, including the Wallabies, Super Rugby, Sevens, Women’s XVs, community rugby, corporate and operational support.
The successful candidate will be highly organized and enthusiastic, with an understanding of communications, media and/or journalism principles. In return, this role presents an ideal opportunity for an aspiring communications professional to learn and grow into a business – and especially within a national sporting organisation.
- Responsible for the media accreditation process for journalists and photographers – across both local and international events
- Manage all media operations for RA-run match days – including Wallabies and Wallaroos matches – working closely with other internal departments to deliver a seamless match-day experience
- Manage the media accreditation process for all relevant Rugby events – both in Australia and internationally
- Own the media contact database and distribution process
- Develop and execute robust internal communications processes – including communications updates, and distribution of external communications to internal stakeholders
- Develop and maintain effective and positive relationships with key internal stakeholders, and manage requests from within the business
- As a trusted business partner/adviser to internal stakeholders, identify proactive internal communication opportunities, and develop plans to execute these opportunities
- Writing – media releases and other communications
- Distribution of media releases and other external communications
- Develop and publish content across Rugby Australia’s digital platforms and social media channels
- Contribute to Rugby AU corporate publications, including the Annual Report.
Measurement & Evaluation
- Media monitoring – the “go-to” resource for media monitoring and analysis within the business, providing insights and input to strategic development within the communications department
- Administrative and operational support for the communications department, ensuring its efficient operation
- Provide support to the broader communications department in the execution of communications plans across all areas of the business.
- Provide communications support to internal stakeholders and departments
To be successful, you will need to have:
- University degree in Communications or Journalism
- 2-3 years of experience in communications, public relations, or journalism
- Excellent organizational, time management, and prioritisation skills – with good attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in writing press releases, social media copy
- Understanding of communications, media and/or journalism principles
- Demonstrated experience in social media and/or content creation
- A problem-solver
- Proactive, enthusiastic, inquisitive
- Demonstrates a customer service mentality
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills – ability to positively contribute to other work streams
- Comfortable working with senior colleagues and external stakeholders
- Manages change positively and confidently and responds quickly to changing priorities.
- Behaves in a way that is consistent with Rugby Australia’s values of passion, integrity, discipline, respect, and teamwork
- Understanding of Rugby and/or the Australian sporting landscape will be advantageous
- Experience in sport highly regarded, but not essential
After hours and weekend work, and interstate travel work may be required.
To apply please send your CV and cover letter supporting your application to Rachel.Buckling@rugby.com.au. Applications close Monday 25th July 2022.