Wallabies Head of Athletic Performance
Rugby Australia (Rugby AU), the governing body of Rugby Union in Australia, is looking for an experienced Head of Athletic Performance to lead, direct and manage the Wallaby Athletic Performance Program and the strategy for the athletic development, conditioning, nutrition, and other sports sciences for the Wallabies.
In addition to direct the Wallabies sports science and research program, ensuring the Wallabies are prepared to perform internationally and achieve desired winning outcomes.
- Establish and develop strategy for the athletic development, conditioning, nutrition, and other sports sciences across the Wallabies
- In conjunction with the Wallabies staff, provide leadership and direction for the athletic performance of identified players in contention and selected for the Wallabies
- Manage and assist the Wallabies Athletic Performance Staff in the delivery of their roles including all Wallaby assemblies, matches and tours
- As a specialist coach, undertake and complete athletic performance training sessions with players from the Wallabies as required
- Undertake or arrange for athletic performance testing of players from the Wallabies as directed by the General Manager Wallabies
- Monitor the programming and athletic performance development of all identified Wallabies
- In consultation with staff from Rugby Australia’s national teams and Super Rugby teams, review and interpret athletic performance testing results - with a view to determining the most appropriate training methods and programmes to develop players
- Maintain a high level of awareness of the latest research and technology to ensure the Wallaby staff and programs are the best in the world
- Determine and manage all sport science research undertaken by the Wallabies to ensure it assists and improves current coaching practice
- Formulate systems and structures to ensure research ideas are welcomed, universities are engaged, and students/researchers are offered direction and leadership from the Wallabies in applied research
- Ensure that all research undertaken will have applied benefits for the Wallabies team performance
- Maintain a coach-driven and sport science supported program that utilizes all branches of contemporary sport science
- Ensure that all sport science methodologies and systems are applied and integrated with rugby.
- Create an environment where player tracking technology (e.g., GPS) is integrated with tactical analysis within the training setting Establish and maintain positive working relationships with Super Rugby team (including academy) coaches, athletic performance coaches, nutritionists, and other sports science providers.
- Program leadership/management – senior position held with evidence of high performance
- Strong association with elite rugby or sport
- Strong computer and associated program knowledge and skills eg word, excel (spreadsheets), outlook
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly – domestic travel
- Acceptance of unusual work hours
- Rugby or sport experience leading a physical performance program
- Proven quality program leadership and management skills. Ability to align the physical requirements of the game with the vision of the head coach
- Proven quality people management and ability to build relationships with diverse stakeholder groups to create win/win outcomes
- High level of technical knowledge. Strong coaching credentials
- Ability to educate and raise the standards of stakeholders
- Ability to develop a positive performance culture, championing teamwork
- Demonstrates personal commitment to the pursuit of excellence
- Willingness to lead and be held accountable
- Proven work ethic
- Willingness to challenge, be challenged and listen
- Proven program judgement and quality decision making capability
- Ability to deal with a high level of public scrutiny
- High personal standards and expectations of others.
To apply please send your CV and cover letter supporting your application to Rachel.Buckling@rugby.com.au. Applications close Friday 30th September 2022.