Codes and Policies
There are a number of useful resources available to assist everyone involved in the game in creating a child-safe environment.
To read the Human Rights National Principles for Child Safe Organisations please click the link below.
For further information on creating child-safe environments please refer to the below resources.
Each state and/or territory has a nominated Member Protection Information Officer (MPIO) and it is recommended that each club has a Member Protection Contact (MPC).
Further information on these roles and your unions specific child safe requirements can be found below.
- Safeguarding Club Guide
- Child Safety Incident Response Flowchart
- Member Protection Club Checklist
- Member Protection Contact Fact Sheet
- Member Protection Contact Registration Guide
Depending on which state you play rugby in, here are the links to each Union's relevant web-page.
- NSW - MPIO Kerry Brady, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Queensland - MPIO Gaven Head, Gaven.Head@redsrugby.com.au
- ACT - MPIO Mathew Vowles, email@example.com
- Victoria - MPIO Chris Evans, Chris.Evans@rugbyvic.com.au
- Western Australia - MPIO Justin Shakeshaft, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Northern Territory - MPIO Shane Sullivan, email@example.com
- South Australia - MPIO Rose Jackson, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tasmania - MPIO Ebony Altimira, email@example.com
The Australian Childhood Foundation (ACF) offer some great resources and information on how to support a child safer approach in your workplace and/or club. Rugby Australia are not accredited with the ACF however fully support the work they do in safeguarding and child safety. Please see below examples of child friendly posters you can use around your workplace and/or rugby club.
Play By the Rules (PBTR) offers information, resources, tools and free online training to assist coaches, officials, players, parents and spectators in preventing and dealing with discrimination, harassment, child safety, inclusion and integrity in sport.
You can find more information by visiting the PBTR website here www.playbytherules.net.au.
The Rugby Learning Centre hosts a range of PBTR and Rugby Australia courses including the below:
- PBTR Child Protection Course
- PBTR Complaint Handling Course
- PBTR Harassment and Discrimination Course
- PBTR Member Protection Information Course
- Rugby AU Member Protection and Inclusion Course
- Rugby AU Member Protection Contact Course
- Rugby AU Code of Conduct